Wednesday, January 22, 2014

First Week in Spain

     I have officially been living in Spain for one week! So far I am having a fantastic time seeing the sights and meeting new people, and this first week has been very hectic.
     When I arrived last week the BU group stayed in a hotel for the first two days, and on Saturday Alex and I moved in with our host family. Our host mother speaks English, but we speak Spanish 99% of the time and I am learning quickly how to communicate efficiently.
     Here are some pictures that I have taken so far (sorry about the quality, I only have my smartphone with me to take pictures). Sorry this is so short, more pictures and posts are to come!

 Alex at La Plaza Puerta del Sol on the first day


 Tiny bus


El Edificio Banesto


Police making sure things don't get out of control during a protest at La Plaza Puerta del Sol.
There are many protests like this in Spain, but from what I have seen they are all peaceful. 


El Palacio de Cibeles


El Edificio Metropolis


My room!




Our apartment building. We live on the second floor. 



"Share a Coke with Jesus"



My friend Tommy next to a really small car. 


Our street, in el barrio Justicio, or the Justice District. 



It is called the Justice District because there are many courts in the neighborhood.
This is the Supreme Court of Spain, two blocks from our apartment. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew - Looking forward to keeping up with your transition through your posts. Keep them coming. Great idea to start a blog ~ Love the pictures. Let us know how classes are, what are your imprsessions of the differences in European life and the culture in the area you are living. XXOO Aunt Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt. for sending the photos and letting us in on your adventure. Stunning to hear that your Spanish is efficient. Mine got me into trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matthew, I didnt even know you were traveling! How long will you be gone for? YOur mom sent us the link. I look forward to you posting lots of pics! BTW, your pics came out great :)
    XO, Lynn, your cousin :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! I am here for four months, I return to the states May 21st. I will keep the pics coming, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Great pics and a great tour to Toledo, too. I think that place was a center for the Inquisition. I hope you did OK there.

    Matt...you got used to snow and cold in Boston but now we are really suffering. Too much ice. Some of the trains have not run for two days! Power is out everywhere. Sun is out today but only a few hours of school so far this week.

    Find the Jesuit Church and make your examen. I hope you are getting good protein...octopus has plenty!

    A few of your classmates were at Joe Walsh '13 's funeral. RIP

    I did badly with differential equations! But I know you will do much better!

    Uncle George

    ReplyDelete